Being a good activist requires many important qualities. In the video, “The 12 keys of Spiritual Activism,” it’s mentioned that fighting through compassion is vital. Those who could be categorized as the “dominant group” in society need to learn to be empathetic and acknowledge that privilege and oppression exist. Bell Hooks mentions that we need to stop blaming the oppressed and realize that we may be at fault. Additionally, being an ally for oppressed groups is crucial. In the video, “Activism is More Than a Word,” gay/straight alliances were shown. I also liked how a man was holding a sign that said, “Just another straight guy for gay rights.” I’ll also mention that the man holding the sign was white. I think it’s so important that those of the dominant group acknowledge our privileges and use them to help society achieve equality for all. By paying attention to oppression in our society and actively listening, we can learn the ways in which our society oppresses different groups. Then we can help facilitate change. “When you openly change how you participate in a system, you do more than change your own behavior; you also change how the system happens” (613.) By not allowing ourselves to participate in the furthering of oppression, together we can help stop it and move towards an equal society. We can do this by speaking out, volunteering, and being allies. Being an ally can be defined as, “a member of a dominant group in our society who works to dismantle any form of oppression from which she or he receives the benefit” (625.) Since Martin Luther King Day was just a few days ago, I would say that he is one of our country’s activists that I admire most. He wasn’t afraid to stand up for what he believed in and gave his life while fighting for civil rights.
I liked how you mentioned that people categorized in the "dominant group" need to acknowledge that privilege and oppression still exist. Seems like its always these "dominant groups" that "blind" themselves from seeing what's going on in the world.
ReplyDelete