I really don’t view Lady Gaga as a feminist. She’s definitely breaking new ground in the music industry, but I wouldn’t say that her song lyrics, music videos or image represent true feminist values. Although she has many hit songs, I don’t believe many of her fans actually understand the true meaning of her lyrics. Her outrageous wardrobe choices and bizarre antics have helped her gain publicity, but I view her as too explicit to be labeled as a feminist and a good role model for young women. Personally, I like her music, but haven’t deeply contemplated the meaning of her lyrics.
Ke$ha is another female artist is making a splash in the music industry. I find her less outrageous than Lady Gaga but still wouldn’t confidently label her as a feminist. However, I like the fact that Ke$ha pokes fun at some aspects of sexism in her songs and sings mostly about being with her female friends rather than describing explicit situations involving men. I believe some of her songs send a powerful message to young girls that it’s important to go out and have a good time with your friends without worrying about how you look or what boys think of you. It’s great that she promotes the idea of girls being in a powerful position, in charge of their own happiness without being submissive to men. I don’t completely agree with Lily Rowen that Lady Gaga and Ke$ha’s lyrics may transform the contemporary path of feminism, mainly because I don’t think that Lady Gaga is a good role model, however I think Ke$ha could possibly be a role model for young girls by shaping their feminism values as long as she keeps the vulgarity of her lyrics to a minimum!
No comments:
Post a Comment