Friday, January 14, 2011

Whip My Hair - Quick Blog #4


Although Willow Smith’s song “Whip My Hair” can be incredibly annoying after listening to it on repeat, it appeals to a larger audience than just 9 year old girls. I think Willow could be viewed as a good role model for young girls. She sends the message that everyone should be confident to express themselves without worrying what others think. Her message about expressing oneself pertains to anything from what one chooses to wear to whether one is straight or gay. Her way of holding her head up and saying “I don’t care what you think” is by whipping her hair. I don’t have any problem with her lyrics or music video. She has both boys and girls in the video, however her lyrics seem geared more towards girls. I think this is legitimate considering she is a young girl herself. I think her song could be motivational for boys as well, although they are probably less likely to feel confident and manly from a song sung by a young girl. Regarding race, I think it’s great to have a young black artist, like Willow, as a possible role model for girls instead of another Hannah Montana. 

No comments:

Post a Comment