Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Quick Blog #3


I’m pretty sure my parents started a college fund for me before I was 5. When I was applying to colleges, it was assumed that I could go to any school I wanted, as long as I got in. Being an average student, my grades were my only limitation holding me back from going to more prestigious schools than the ones I applied to. I was privileged in this situation due to my socio-economic status because I didn’t also have to consider the financial aspect of the schools I was applying to and whether I could afford them. I’m very grateful that my parents strongly value my education, and that I am able to have many wonderful opportunities available to me.
  
I went to High Point University in North Carolina my freshman year, then transferred to UNH for my sophomore year. When I was at High Point, one of my suitemates and closest friend was very wealthy. When I couldn’t afford to fly myself home for Easter, my friend invited me to come home with her for the weekend. When we arrived in Hilton Head, SC, we went straight to her father’s car dealership to pick out a car for the weekend. I wasn’t sure what was wrong with driving around in her practically new Toyota Highlander, but I guess her dad let her drive one of the dealership cars around whenever she came home. She chose a Jeep something (I can’t remember), which we drove back to her house. She lived on a golf course in a gated community that had some of the most beautiful mansions I had ever seen. Her family was so friendly and generous; they even made me a little Easter basket! I was so surprised because my mom stopped doing that when I was probably 15 and I didn’t mind. But Easter at my friend’s house was on a whole new level. It was practically Christmas. During the weekend we went shopping and although I didn’t really have money to spend, I didn’t mind helping her pick out ridiculously priced sundresses at her favorite boutique. I didn’t exactly feel oppressed in this situation, but I could definitely tell the difference regarding privilege when comparing her life to mine.

At summer camp when I was probably about 11, I remember a situation where one of my male friends got into a little argument with another kid. Whatever the argument was about, it ended with my friend saying to the other kid, “Whatever, you’re poor”, laughing, and walking away. He seemed to think that his comeback was stellar, and I could sense the feeling of power he felt afterwards. I was initially embarrassed and very uncomfortable. Even though I was only 11, I knew that making fun of someone for something they couldn't help wasn't right. I didn’t say anything to him about it that day, but “you’re poor” seemed to be his comeback of the summer. After I heard him use it a few more times in inappropriate situations, I asked him to stop because it was mean and also made me and some of our other friends feel uncomfortable.

1 comment:

  1. My youngest brother is eleven years old and he experiences similar situations at his age that you did when you were younger. I think it's sad that even younger children are involved in experiencing oppression and disadvantages. I would consider that to be one of the ages where children are most vulnerable and start to create ideas about their lives and others lives and to be shot down like that because they are "poor" or not as "privileged" is sad. I'm glad you were able to ask the other kid to stop. Hopefully as parents raise their children today they can stress that it's not appropriate and that it's hurtful to get down on others like that because of their socio-economic status.

    ReplyDelete