Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Pornography - Quick Blog #5


I found the Dead Porn Stars Memorial video to be disturbing. I agree with the message at the end of the video stating, “Porn is not glamorous.” What struck me about this video was how almost every single porn star in the video died by suicide, whether by hanging, a gunshot wound, or a drug overdose. Clearly most of them were depressed or extremely unhappy with their lives. It’s sad that they lost their lives while in a business that contributes to sexual violence against women in our society. I believe that pornography encourages the concept of men viewing women as objects of pleasure. I think that pornography presents women in a degrading manner because men like the thought of “dominating” a woman, whether in a sexual way or not. It’s unfortunate that pornography and various types of advertisement furthers this concept, especially when aimed at young men. Additionally, I think pornography portrays the idea that sex is strictly about physical (sometimes aggressive or painful) pleasure rather than a way in which two people in a healthy relationship express their love for each other.

1 comment:

  1. Great comments, Courtney. Pornography does not contribute to more love and loving in our society, just to more brute force and meaningless sex. it is sad that people who critique porn are called "prudes" because they are actually the ones that care about making sex into something deeper and more loving.

    ReplyDelete