I found the video Gimp to be a very powerful way of showing how people with disabilities aren’t actually as limited or disabled as we often assume. For example, even though the ribbon acrobat at the beginning of the video didn’t have legs, she had incredible upper body strength and was able move and hold herself in positions not many people could. Those of us without disabilities often take for granted the privilege we have to be able-bodied. The video shows that despite their disabilities, the dancers were able to overcome their limitations. I liked how there were a few scenes with 2 dancers, one disabled, one not, but they were able to do sort of a synchronized act where they both seemed to be equally able.
On page 530, it was interesting how the author called attention to the fact that those with disabilities are often denied equal opportunities before they are even given a chance. It seems as though people just assume that their disability is much more limiting than it actually is, and that the able-bodied person should be the one to make the decision of what the disabled person is capable of doing or not doing. The author also noted that people often don’t acknowledge those with disabilities by ignoring them or avoiding eye contact. I’ll admit, I sometimes do this to people that are clearly physically disabled (for example if they are in a wheelchair) but not because I think less of them as a member of society, but because I don’t want them to think I’m staring at them because they probably get stared at everywhere they go. I’d rather them think I didn’t even notice their disability. However, I now realize the best thing to do would just be to smile at them if we make eye contact.
No comments:
Post a Comment